Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sensory Issues and Waffles

I went to the NOAH's {National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation) website to ask a question about the food issues i've been having with Care Bear and I found a post on the exact topic.

Apparentley, many children with Albinism have sensory feeding issues as well as other sensory issues. I don't know for sure if it is linked with the Albinism or just the visual impairment. Either way, it explains a lot! Some of the moms said their children would eat 2nd baby foods, but not go near the 3rd and that's precisely what Care Bear has been doing. Something about the texture of the 3rd foods as well as some table foods aren't appealing to them.

They offered their opinion to see a Nutritionist or Speech Therapist that specializes in food therapy. I don't have a clue where to start looking for that, but I will start trying today! It's very important to me that she gets the right nutrition and if someone can help us passed these sensory issues, i'm all for it.

On a good note, I toasted a waffle and broke it into pieces this morning and she ate the entire thing. And said "Num, Num!" with each bite. =)



{last month.. just for the sake of Cuteness! Notice the one sock..told ya she never keeps two on}

3 comments:

Marci @All Things Wonderful September 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

She is beautiful! Love the sock. Thanks for "coming over" to my blog. Your blog is great...lookig forward to reading more!

Leah September 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Such a little cutie!! Have you ever looked at www.wholesomebabyfood.com? I have gotten tons of recipes off there for Perri for making baby food and now for making finger foods for her. Pretty easy and very healthy too! Perri is definitely at that stage you said of wanting to do it herself and not fed babyfood. She LOVES when I make her a grilled cheese and cut it in little pieces for her, grilled chicken, chunks of cheese, peas, watermelon, sweet potato fries (homemade, delicious) and lots of recipes from that web site! Let me know if you need more suggestions or have any for me too!

Madison Sanders September 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

Yes, speech therapist would be awesome. I've seen them work wonders on kids that have sensory issues. One kid didn't like the way the spoon felt on his tongue.

If you lived in Georgia I could recommend an awesome rehab place that specializes in helping kids with speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. Just keep searching, I'm sure you'll find someone great.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP