Tuesday, October 13, 2009

She Pulls it Off

Miss Care Bear was fabulous at her appointment today. She played well with the Optician and Opthamologist. I think she is just used to the visits by now. It's normal for people to shine little lights with toys hanging off of them into her eyes. She enjoys the Barney stickers they reward her with as well.

We learned a few things while we were there, though the visit was surprisingly short and quick! Care Bear still has a lot of Strabismus {crossing} even with the glasses on. It's not nearly as noticable with her glasses on, but it is still significant enough to be concerned about. Dr. P wants her to "Alternate Patch" until January.

She has to wear these "cute" little patches for 1-2 hours per day on alternate eyes each day until January. When we go back in January, if there is still the same amount of Strabismus, she will need surgery.
The reason for surgery is that if she continues to favor the left eye, the brain will cut off the right eye. What I mean by that is, the brain thinks since the left eye is stronger, it does not need the right eye anyway and will quit sending information to the right eye, causing it to lose the current vision it has now. We don't want that to happen!

So..for the moment, we will wear the patches and pray that it helps some. I have a feeling that it will not change much because her Strabismus is so severe. Surgery is most likely our next step and that is fine as long as out little girl can see.

Personally, I think she pulls it off..the look that is. We'll see within the next hour if that statement can be applied literally. ;)

13 comments:

smott October 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

Oh, what a trooper! I wish you all the best of luck through everything. And yes, she does amazing for a 1 year old keeping on glasses and now a patch - doesn't even seem to phase her! I can't even keep a hat on my one year old! She is adorable.

Bren October 13, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Good luck with the patch! If she does need surgery - honestly the earlier you do it the better. She won't remember the procedure and it really will help to stabilize her vision.

Good luck! I will really be thinking of your little sweetie!

Fullerton Family October 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

That's what happened to my cousin that got ran over- one eye was MUCH stronger than the other, so the brain let the other die. Surgery is SO MUCH better. Good thing you have good/smart doctors!

Janet October 13, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

Oh girl, I hope this works for y'all. Good luck with this! She definitely looks super cute, and i think she will pull the patch look off and still look absolutely adorable!! Btw, I LOVE that white dress. So cute!

Mama Bear October 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

I'll say a prayer that it works for you guys!! She looks like such a big girl and not so much a baby anymore in those pictures. :) SHe is so cute!

JenFen October 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

Jake's best friend had the surgery at 2 and did amazingly well. As you know Jake is still patching his left eye for refractive amblyopia and we go back next week to see how well it worked.

And I agree that CB is quite a trooper putting up with the glasses and the patch, not to mention all those doctor visits. Good for her!

BTW - Both London and Laura C. both jokingly blogged about moms and sweats this last week. I was just giving them a hard time in my post.

*Kc* October 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Hey everyone! Thank you for the comments. I know it isn't the cutest thing. It makes me very sad to see her likes that, but at least it's only 1-2hrs a day and we can do that at home. I pray it helps, but honestly I think she'll need the surgery.

Kimberly wow! I had no idea that happened to your cousin. I'm so sorry. Do they still update her blog?

Unknown October 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Don't give up on the patching. Patching can be wonderful if you stick to it. We did have the surgery on our oldest daughter with albinism and I have to say it was harder on me than her. She acted like it was nothing. She had hers at 15 months old.

*Kc* October 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Thanks Casey. I was hoping you'd respond and give some advice. I'm glad to know the surgery wasn't to bad.

Ally October 14, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

I love that 1st pic! I pray that the patch helps and she wont need the surgery. =)

Nada October 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

What a sweetie! She looks so cute!!!! I love her little outfit, btw.

Geneviève October 14, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Aww, she is so adorable and seems like such a good sport. I had lost your blog for a little while, and am so happy to see you back on the blogosphere!! Hopefully the patches will work for her :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP