Friday, September 11, 2009

Oh What a Day

Yesterday when I went in to get Care Bear from her crib, I noticed that she was warm. I took her temp and it was 101.3. I didn't think much about it because she has ran that high with her teeth before. Then last night she felt hot, not just warm, so I took her temp again and it was 102.7! I called the on call nurse and they told me teething temps do not get that high and to take her in to the doctor's office in the morn.

I slept with her all night last night because I wanted to keep a good check on her. She breathed heavily all night and felt hot! This morning she was as hot as fire. I took her temp and it was 103.2!! I freaked out and called C. He rushed home from work and his mom came over to watch Miss Priss. We took Care Bear to Children's Hospital because the first thing I thought was flu. I'm so scared of the stupid Swine Flu. A death was reported here last night. It was a six year old girl who had no symptoms other than fever.

We got to ACH and were immediately taken back. They checked everything and said since she had no other symptoms of the flu, but had a high fever, they wanted to take every precaution available. A chest xray was done as well as a catheter to do a urinalysis. Both of those things came back normal. The diagnosis was "Fever Virus." We were told to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every four hours and keep her well hydrated.

I'm still really scared it may be the flu. They didn't test for it at all because "the flu tests are only 50% accurate" Doctor said since she has no underlying medical issues and since she has had the fever two days, there was no special treatments they could give her for the flu anyway. Ugh. I still don't know what to think. I guess I should trust them and believe it is a virus. My poor girl. She looks pitiful. It's written all over her eyes that she doesn't feel good.

7 comments:

Heather September 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon! The same thing happened to Travis labor day weekend. He woke up crying at 3am with a fever of 102.5. At 4am, after a dose of motrin, it was up to 103.8! The hospital told us to stay home unless it got to 105. We gave him cold water in his sippy cup and put him in the bath and his fever finally started coming back down. He has been sniffly all week but the fever was completely gone within 24 hours.

Jennifer September 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Oh, we had that same issue this weekend. My little man (11 months) had been running a low grade fever Saturday, assuming it he was teething, I just gave him some Tylenol. Sunday he woke up with a temp of 102.7! He ended up having an ear infection. As Moms, we hate seeing our little ones not feeling well. I hope she gets better fast.....

Jennifer September 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Oh yeah, I hope you had a great birthday!

Kelly September 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

Poor thing! I hope she feels better soon. My nephew was sick sort of like this two wks ago. Except he threw up a few times and had dirahea. Took him to the doc said it was the flu but he had no other symptoms but still gave him that tamiflu crap which really hurt his stomach! But he had the high fever for a few days. This stuff is all too scary!

GretchN September 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

awh! hugs to you! This happened with Matthew a couple of weeks ago, his got up to 104! I was freaking out. We just did the tylenol/motrin rotation and some cool baths. He was better after 2 days or so. We still don't know what caused it.

Carrie September 12, 2009 at 5:33 AM  

Poor girl and how scary with the swine flu going around :( I hope she feels better soon!

Janet September 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Aw, poor thing! I hope she is doing much better today and that it is NOT the flu!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP