Friday, October 2, 2009

Albinism on the News!

Most of you that read my blog know that my Care Bear has Albinism. Which is a genetic condition resulting in little to no melaning, resulting in little to no pigmentation in the eyes, skin and hair. Not many people can tell by looking at her and most people don't even believe us and tell us to get a second opinion. But she does indeed have it and if we ever were to have more children, we would have a 1 in 4 chance of them having it as well. Miss Priss was not the 1 in 4 obviously.

Anyway, there is going to be a story on 2020 tonight covering Albinism.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think the main story is about the horrible killings of people with Albinism in Tanzania. It is their belief that people with Albinism should be killed for their body parts to use as witch craft. Disgusting right?

Please watch this story if you get a chance! You will learn a lot, i'm sure. I'm so very excited that they are airing this tonight. It brought tears to my eyes because the media tends to ignore Albinism as a medical condition and people continue to sterotype. Not many know the truth about Albinism and I pray this story tonight will bring much awareness!

4 comments:

Bren October 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

I saw a commercial for the 20/20 show tonight and immediately thought of your Care Bear! I hope it's not all horrible things and also shows how individuals with albinism are PEOPLE and not scary things. Who could look at your little sweetie and every think anything different!!!!

Unknown October 2, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope they do the albinism community justice!

Ally October 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Thats awesome! I hope the show turns out good.

The Guerra's October 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Im watching it right now! Some of the stories are so sad :(

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP