Friday, November 20, 2009

A Rough Week

I know it's been a minute since i've posted. We've had a really rough week around our house.

Wednesday, Care Bear woke from a nap around 4pm and was burning up! I took her temp and it was 102. She had no other symptoms though. By that evening, it had risen to 103.5!! I freaked out of course. Neither of our girls have ever had a temp that high. {We took Bear to the ER back in Sept for a fever of 103. It was a "virus"}I told C that we needed to go to the ER immediately. They got us in pretty quickly. The doctor came in and did nothing! She briefly looked in her ears and attempted to look in her throat, then laughed and said "Mom, I think you may have overreacted a little. Go home and let her sleep it off. It's just a fever illness." I was pissed!! We went home and were up all night. Care Bear didn't sleep at all!! Her fever went down alittle, but shot right back up after a little while.

Fast forward to Thursday morning. She still had fever and was acting unlike herself. She wouldn't shut her mouth and she was profusely drooling. She would not drink a drop of anything or take her paci. That's when I knew somethign was really wrong. Her paci is her comforst and for her not to want it, something has got to be going on. Like I said, she didn't drink one drop of anything and only had two wet diapers all day long. I was so scared that she was going to dehydrate.

Around 6pm Thur night, she became extremely fussy and was drooling everywhere! She has never drooled, so that was really weird to me. I called her on call nurse from her Pediatrician's office and told them what was going on. They said go back to the ER now! Oh.My.Gosh! I could not believe it was happening,but I figured it would come to that.

When we got there, the again took us seriously and got us in quickly. The nurses were much nicer than the night before. So.Was.The.Doctor!!! They came in and evaulated her and said "she does not feel well. You can see it in her eyes." They checked her throat {like I told the dr the night before to do!!} and guess what they saw? Big sores all over the back of her throat! I started crying and told the doctor I was so angry because I had just told the other dr to check her throat and she said it looked perfect. Ugh! She was also pretty dehydrated. =( I knew she would be. They came in to do an IV so I stepped out of the room. I heard her start screaming and I almost fainted. The doctor came by and gave me a char and some gatorade so I wouldnt pass out.

Once they got the IV started, they started fluids and let them run for 2 hours. Then they did an Xray on her throat to make sure it was swelling and the virus wasn't moving down her throat. {It wasn't, praise God!} After that they gave her more Motrin because her fever kept going up. She was laying there like a limp noodle. We just held her and rocked her. It was so sad, she looked pitiful. Oh I forgot, they also drew blood when they started the IV. When it came back, her white cell count was a lot higher than they were "comfortable with" so they also started her on an antibiotic.

We got to the hospital at 7pm and didn't get to leave until 12:00am. Then guess what we had to do this morning? Wake up at 6am to get Miss Priss back to Children's for her 2 year Cardiology appt. Snoooooooze! I'm so so tired.

Care Bear is doing well this morning. I've been alternating Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours. Antibiotic every 8 hours for 10 days and Pain meds every 6 hours. Whew. Long.Long.Week! Please pray that Care Bear starts feeling better and will start drinking some fluids. If she doesn't, she will have to be admitted to the hospital.


Deanna November 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

K, I am so sorry you're having to go through this! We've done that dance with Kelton at the ER, too. Did they give her antibiotics through the IV, too? Hearing your child scream like that is absolutely horrible...I know...from several experiences...there is no pain for a parent like that. Prayers for you, C, CB, and MP!!!

Will CB drink anything? Water? milk? gatorade? pedialyte?

LauraC November 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

Kaycee sorry to hear about all of this. My boys had hand foot mouth twice. It starts with a high fever then the sores start appearing. So it could have happened that when you took her to the doc the first time, she didn't have the sores then and then they showed up. I also found when my boys had HFM they didn't want to eat or drink anything bc it was so painful. So we let them have unlimited popscicles and that kept them hydrated.

Thinking about you!

Cori Lynn November 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Oh Kaycee..I am sorry to hear about CB...I hope she gets to really feeling better soon!!

*Kc* November 20, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

Thanks Laura and Cori!

Deanna- They gave her antibiotics in her mouth. She wont drink anything at all..well wouldn't. She drank a tiny bit of juice this morning, but really doesn't want anything. I tried Pedialyte Popsicles but she's not very interested in those either.

Kelly November 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

I will pray for her! Sorry your week was so bad, relax with you precious girls and take it easy this weekend! :)

Taylor November 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Oh my gosh girl you have had a week! Poor thing! Glad she is doing a little better! Hope the Caridiology appt went well!

Christine November 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

Aw. Poor Care Bear and poor you. :( That's so tough for babies and the mommies. I remember when Ben was 2 he had a high fever so I took him to the ER. I got treated about the same as you. I kept getting the... it's just a virus you have to just treat the fever. We had 2 ER visits and a walk in clinic visit and finally his doc got back from vacation so we got him in there. I told the doc that I was so frustrated because I know something was wrong and would he please at least just test him for strep. He did (Benjamin had extremely large tonsils.... very hard for him to eat and breathe). It came back barely positive, but positive nonetheless. SO, on the way home from the doctor's office I went by Burger King to get something to eat and looked back and Benjamin was just sitting there with a glazed look and red. I sped home and took his temp. It was over 105. I called the nurse line and they said since he had already been diagnosed with strep that there was nothing to do but give him his antibiotic and treat the fever. She said the ER wouldn't be overly concerned unless his temp got to 107. That seemed crazy to me. Ben had his tonsils taken out 2 months after that mess.
Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I just know how terrifying and helpless it feels when doctors don't take you seriously when you KNOW something is wrong. Praying for you sweets!

Marci @ All Things Wonderful November 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Oh my...I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Your poor sweet baby! I hope she gets well soon.

Kelly November 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

Oh my! Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon.

The Thomasson's November 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

Oh yucky! No fun! It is so hard when our kids get so sick. I am glad that at least the second doctors took it seriously!

Carrie77 November 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

Oh that does make for a long week- I am the most stressed when my babies are sick and the high fevers are SO so scary! I will pray that she gets well soon! Poor thing! And shame on the first ER doctor!!!

Kickin' Kari November 20, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

I'm praying for ya'll. It hurts your heart like nothing else to see your baby hurt huh? I'm sorry. Hope she is feeling better soon.

Mel November 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Oh, I hope she feels better and drinks. What an experience for you. No fun at all! Analese loves her new bows BTW! And Mariele will look cute in the beanie if I can keep her from grabbing it off her head, silly baby;)

Molly November 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

You poor thing! Hope Carebear gets to feeling better quick!

writing4612 December 4, 2009 at 11:43 PM  

I know exactly what that's like. It's incredibly frustrating when the doctor does nothing. Belive me when I say I've met some nutheads who should've have never been allowed to practice anywhere. I'm glad she's better. Doctors do NOT know everything.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP