Monday, January 11, 2010

Care Bear Opthamology Appt 4


We had to take Care Bear in for her fourth Opthamology appointment at Children's. It was another scheduled routine visit. Both C and I were anticipating this visit as the visit where they'd schedule "the surgery."

We were right. I'm not sure if that's unfortunate or fortunate. It is fortunate because she needs it. Her poor little right eye is slowly failing. It's lagging behind the left eye quite noticeably. Last time we were there was in October and both eyes were equal, but now, three months later, her left eye is much stronger. It is unfortunate though, because I don't want my baby to have to undergo surgery. It's such an intense feeling of anxiety and it's still 2 months away.

I've waited for this day, for when they told us she needed the surgery because I want her to have it. I don't want her eyes to continue crossing and have even more reason for hateful kids to pick on her. I don't want her to lose vision in one of her eyes. However, I also don't want her to have to be put under with anesthesia. {sad face}

They gave us more patches {sigh} and this time they sent us home with Teragard tape that you put on top of the patches so that she can't rip them off as easily. Oh and if that doesn't work,they sent us home with arm braces that won't allow her to reach up and pull the patch off. Cruel much? I know.. right? That's what I thought, but if it helps to strengthen her right eye, I will do it.

For some reason, i'm emotional today. Everything sort of hit me hard. I'm excited to start a new chapter of my life, but at the same time on days like this when CB or MP need both of us, it's difficult to think of what you'll do at the next visit. Will we be there together? Will we still be on friendly terms? I hope so. For today though, we were. It was all about CB today. Lil princess as one of the nurses called her.

Stinker. She was so good through the entire process. They had to dilate again and that is just terrible for a 14 month old. Especially one who is already sensitive to the sun. She couldn't even open her eyes in the car, but she was a trooper and decided to just fall asleep. {smiley face}

12 comments:

Paige January 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Love all of your hearts. I know you're going through a lot right now and the surgery makes everything so much scarier! Hold your head up! You have a wonderful outlook on everything in life.

Ams January 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I am so sorry about her needing surgery - but if it means saving her sight... well that's the best right?
Things are going to be okay. YOU are going to be okay!!
*Hugs*

Bren January 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

The surgery is scary I will give you that! Having gone through it as an adult, it is better for her to do it now rather than later. Besides kids picking on her and her vision getting worse - she won't remember the pain of recovery. She will look scary after it is over but let me tell you, the results FAR outweigh any pain or discomfort. Plus her eyes will have a chance to grow normally going forward! You will be in my thoughts during this process!

Unknown January 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

I know it is hard but it is well worth it. I remember Madison getting the surgery. To be honest it is harder on you than the child. She will be ok and it will help her. We noticed a change in Madison right away. Good luck with your new chapter and with the surgery. Praying for you.

Carrie January 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

I will be thinking and praying for Care Bear. ANd, wow, arm braces? Poor girl!! I am sure this is all hard to take in, but stay strong!

House of Blues January 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Oh bless her little heart Kaycee. The Lord has made her a stong baby and you a strong mommy and woman and you will both get throught this and come out on top....
I thought you would like this...
"I know the plans I have for you " says the Lord. " They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope" Jeremiah 29:11
Take care sweetie, thinking of you guys and saying prayers always.

JenFen January 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

I know how scary it can be to have your child go through surgery as I just went through it with Jake but it will be worth it in the end. I have a friend who went through what I think is the same type of surgery with her son when he was 2 1/2 so I can get you in touch with her if you want to talk to somebody who has been through it.

And you know Jake is being patched right now too and I cannot imagine trying to get a 1 year old to cooperate because they just don't understand. Hopefully it won't come to you having to use the arm braces.

And I believe that you and C both want the best for your girls so I know when it comes to them you will be able to remain friendly and stand united - I know it is difficult now but it will get better.

We are here for you girl!

Heather January 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

Praying for you and for her girl. You are such a strong woman, she is lucky to have you for a mom! That first picture melts my heart, precious!

Steph January 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

First, the picture of CB at the beginning of your post is too precious. I am sorry about the thought of surgery for her, I know how scary that can be. Cooper had a minor surgery (tubes in his ears) when he was 2, and I was a nervous wreck about it. One of his preschool classmates wears an eye patch 1/2 days at preschool for her eyes and I think it's a struggle for her parents to have her keep it on too and she is 4.

Miranda Grayson January 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Oh my gosh CB is adorable! I just love those pigtails on her. How can you not just squeeze her all day long?? :-)

Melodie January 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

My oldest daughter had surgery on her eyes when she was five years old. I was really anxious about it, but everything went great. They even gave her a nice sedative to relax her about 30 minutes before they took her in, so she would already be sleepy when they went to put her under. She also had to have a follow-up surgery on one of her eyes where she had a cyst form from the scar tissue. I wasn't nerbous at all about that surgery because everything had gone so well with the first surgery.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP